|Organization Name:||Muskoka Woods Youth Foundation|
|Project Title:||Supporting our Canadian Heroes Project|
|Purpose of Investment:||To expand an existing program that sends the children of military personnel to summer camp with 50 new campers.|
The Muskoka Woods Youth Foundation is looking to expand our support of families in the Canadian Armed Forces by partnering with Military Resource Centres (MRCs) to offer a summer camp experience at Muskoka Woods to 50 children. Since 1979, Muskoka Woods has welcomed everyone to an experience for a lifetime. Unlimited fun is delivered through our dedicated staff, top-notch facilities and 60+ activities. By encouraging youth to reflect and draw deeper meaning from fun experiences, we give them the confidence to shape their world.
Funding will cover the cost of the Bronze Package allowing us to provide the experience without any cost to the family. Each child will choose 6 different activities to fill their day. Some of these activities include: arts & crafts, volleyball, archery, swim beach, gymnastics, flag football, sailing, canoeing, soccer, tennis, trampolining, kayaking, inline skating, the KrakenRACER waterslide, and much more.
The Canadian Heroes project will benefit 50 children ages 6 to 16 who have a parent who is currently deployed with the Canadian Armed Forces, are Veterans of the Canadian Armed Force, are a sibling or a child of a fallen soldiers, or are injured or ill due to their service.
The benefits of this program will also extend to the parents who can take comfort in knowing their children are making lifelong childhood memories and are supported by positive mentors.
“My youngest has sleeping away issues and she made friends with another little girl with the same problem and they figured it out together! So proud! As a military spouse it is nice to be able to let my girls go to camp and not have to worry about their safety and well being.” – Deb, Mother of Canadian Heroes Guests
Muskoka Woods offers a fun, safe and welcoming environment for all youth and our desire to help young people realize their full potential. We are committed to making fun experiences the foundation for building new friendships and self-confidence.
Our hope is that a week at Muskoka Woods will have the following impact:
– Guests will have fun, resulting in lifelong summer camp memories.
– They will grow in confidence, while trying new things and learning new skills.
– Development of meaningful friendships with their cabinmates, other guests and their counsellors.
– The beginning or continuation of an active, healthy lifestyle through exposure to a broad menu of athletic activities.
– Guests push themselves to new limits through “challenge by choice” activities.
- Provide a summer camp experience for 50 children (ages 6 to 16) with a parent who is currently deployed with the Canadian Armed Forces, are Veterans of the Canadian Armed Forces, are a sibling or a child of a fallen soldiers, or are injured or ill due to their service.
- Partner with 5 Military Resource Centres in regions across Ontario by October 2019 to roll out the Canadian Heroes Summer Camp program to families in their communities.
- Obtain an average of 9/10 on the “I Grew In Confidence this Week” section of the weekly camper survey for each Canadian Heroes Guest.
*Content provided by Muskoka Woods Youth Foundation